Thursday 14 November 2013

Just a little effort


Today I was supposed to go to the gym, it's legs day. But once again, motivation was not with me. Instead I took a nap and told myself I'll probably go for a run to make up for it. When the time came for that run, I procrastinated again.

Finally at 11pm, I decided to do a short high intensity circuit training in the comfort of my own home.
I like to call this freestyle HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) which meant I needed to keep my heart-rate up at 160-165 beats/min (varies for each person) but I don't have a heart-rate monitor so I just made sure my heart was constantly beating fast and I was sweating like mad.

Now this workout took me no more than 15-20minutes and to keep it fresh and fun, freestyle it.
Have an arsenal of exercises and just mix it up every time you do this, in fact you can do this everyday if you don't have time for a full hour workout.

Basically for this night, what I did was
- single arm dumbbell squat swing (30secs each arm, if you don't have a dumbbell, what I did before I got mine was to fill my school bag with the heaviest textbooks I have as my weights)
- jump rope movement without the rope (cause I don't have one) (30secs)
- shadow boxing (20-30secs) ( I used to shadow box even before I knew how to box properly so no excuses, just punch rapidly)
- mountain climbers (30seconds)
- split squat (30secs each side)
- hanging leg raises (30secs, if you have a pull up bar, if not crunches would do fine) (subsequent sets I did with a rotation for the obliques)
- single stiff-leg deadlift (10reps/side) (same with the dumbbell squat swing, use a bag filled with books if not bodyweight is just fine)
-burpees pushup (30secs)

Okay so these were the exercises I used today. What I did was - for 15minutes non-stop I just did any one of this exercises. I try to put in the "cardio" type in between the "strength" type for each set.
Meaning after the squat, I did shadowboxing, then leg raises, after which jump rope, deadlifts to mountain climbers then back to shadowboxing, burpees pushup, squat, shadowbox, jump rope.

You get my point :P

Right after this routine, it hit (pun intended) me how just 15minutes of my day devoted to such a workout can make me feel so much better about myself and that much fitter as well as healthier.
Do try it! Don't forget to prepare your towel to clean up all that sweat that you'll have after this workout.







No comments:

Post a Comment